A grey old day for January’s EoMV, which is a shame, as Saturday was beautiful – but then I was far too busy digging to take photos!
Over the last two weekends I’ve finally got out in the garden after an absence of at least a month. However, in many ways, the work has seen me going backwards to go forwards. The final bulbs, Allium sphaerocephalon were bought for the two Lavender Beds, but as both were full of Convolvulus, Couch Grass and generally past-their-best plants, a big dig was called for before I could plant them. Happily the digging was dug and, although you can’t see them, the bulbs are in.
The good news is that there are now large new areas of bed to ‘play’ in, but that requires thought and planning, both of which take time, so no firm plans as yet.
One thing I have mentioned before is the desire to move the Acacia baileyana purpurea from the Mid Century bed and I’d like its new location to be in the left hand Lavender Bed, in the centre of this photo (in front of the Choisya, which I think I’ll remove).
The problem is, when to do the deed? Now would seem a sensible time to move many plants, but the Acacia is on the cusp of bursting into bloom for the first time, so now doesn’t seem exactly conducive. Thoughts?
Further round the garden, more bare earth tells of more activity – I finally pulled the old, very leggy Matthiola incana (Stocks) out of the troughs and replaced them with these cuttings taken from the ‘mother’. These have been in pots for a while, so I’m not sure how long they’ll take to find their feet. They look pretty pathetic at the moment!
The two Swing Beds are still quite green but everything needs a good cut back and tidy up. I’ve read it’s better to wait to do this until the temperature picks up as the old growth protects the newer shoots, particularly on tender plants such as Salvias and Penstemons. Well, that’s my excuse.
In the Grass Bed, more bare earth after a big clear out last year. This is a bit of a shame as I’ve previously had masses of Forget me knots here and I’ll miss them.
I’m trying to move various clumps in from other areas where they’re not wanted, but I still don’t think I’ll achieve the lovely froth of last year:
I had a tidy up of the Herb Bed yesterday and whilst most are looking understandably tired, the Sorrel is looking fresher and more productive than ever. Any recipe suggestions?
The Shady Bed is exhibiting a good showing of glossy foliage. I’ve never noticed before how the Fatsia japonica leaves echo the Hellebores. To the left of the Hellebores the Sarcococca is flowering, picking up the white of the Hellebore to the right. Shame the fern in the middle is so chewed!
At the Western end of the garden, in the shady Oak Bed there is the merest hint of bloom in the Witch Hazel (Hamamelis ‘Arnold’s Promise’), and some more Hellebores,
whereas at the end of the Bronze Bed a far more exotic scene of flowering Aeoniums in front of luxuriant Melianthus major foliage.
Meanwhile in the greenhouse, plenty of bulbs in pots to look forward to
and this. Finally, an empty bulb box!
And to finish, my Rosemarinus prostratus. I mentioned in GBBD how it wasn’t very ‘prostratus’, time to eat my words!
With thanks to Helen at the Patient Gardener who hosts EoMV.